Parsi students may avail of the scholarships for minority students being offered under the Prime Minister’s new 15-point program for the welfare of minorities. Also eligible for these scholarships are Muslim, Christian, Sikh and Buddhist students, all of whom belong to communities which are notified as minority communities under section 2(c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992, Parsis included. This information is contained in an advertisement issued by the ministry of minority affairs, government of India. which appeared in Hindustan Times dated June 4, 2008.
There are three categories of scholarships-pre-matric, post-matric and merit-cum-means. Eligible students of class I to X in government or private schools who have scored not less than 50 percent marks in the previous final examinations and whose parents/guardians do not earn more than one lakh rupees annually will receive financial assistance for admission, tuition fees and a maintenance allowance. Post-matric scholarships will be awarded to those studying from Class XI up to PhD and technical/vocational courses provided they have scored not less than 50 percent in their previous final examination and the annual income of their parents/guardians does not exceed two lakh rupees. Those who received scholarships under this scheme for 2007-08 and fulfill the conditions may apply for renewal of the scholarship for another year.
Twenty thousand new scholarships for undergraduate, postgraduate, technical/professional courses are awarded every year under the merit-cum-means category. To be eligible for financial assistance including reimbursement of course fees and a stipend for maintenance, the annual income of parents/ guardians should not exceed Rs 2.51akhs from all sources. Students who availed of these scholarships last year and still fulfill the eligibility criteria may apply for renewal of the assistance for the next academic year.
In each scheme, 30 percent of the scholarships have been earmarked for girls. Details of the schemes, including application formats, arc available on the website of the ministry of minority affairs: www.minorityaffairs.gov.in
Courtesy : Parsiana
- Also check out this link for various schemes – http://minorityaffairs.gov.in/newsite/schemes/scholarships/scholarships.htm
- They also have a dedicated site for scholarships at http://www.momascholarship.gov.in/
- “Padho Pardesh” – Scheme of Interest Subsidy on Educational Loans for Overseas Studies for the Students Belonging to the Minority Communities. – http://www.minorityaffairs.gov.in/padho_pardesh
- FAQs related to “Padho Pardesh” – Scheme of Interest Subsidy on Educational Loans for Overseas Studies for the Students Belonging to the Minority Communities – http://minorityaffairs.gov.in/FAQ_padho_pardesh
- “Seekho aur Kamao(Learn & Earn)”- The Scheme for Skill Development of Minorities – http://minorityaffairs.gov.in//skill_development
- Research/Studies, Monitoring and Evaluation of Development Schemes including Publicity – http://minorityaffairs.gov.in/scheme_research_studies
Support for Students clearing Prelims conducted by UPSC/SSC,State Public Service Commission(PSC) etc. – http://minorityaffairs.gov.in//scheme_Prelims
- NALANDA PROJECT – A Faculty Development Program for Minorities’ Higher Education Institutions – http://www.minorityaffairs.gov.in/sites/upload_files/moma/files/Nalanda_English.pdf