Patra ni Machhi
Steamed fish in banana leaves
A typical Parsi delight, fish in banana leaves is cooked and rejoiced in many Indian households.
Fish is a rich protein source and has a balanced amount of essential amino acids, fatty acids, phospholipids and fatty acids optimum for development and growth. An excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids, this recipe is served along with green pudhina chutney wrapped in steamy hot banana leaves which gives it an extra flavour and texture. An excellent dish for main course, Steamed Fish in Banana Leaves or Patrani Machhi can be cooked in 12 minutes flat.
– Fish of your choice. Divided in large chunks. Pomfret is a popular choice here.
– 3-4 banana leaves
– 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
– 2 tablespoon of shredded coconut
– 4 green chilles
– 1 cup fresh coriander
– 8 cloves of garlic
– A pinch of cumin seeds and salt
– For the marinade, take a large bowl and mix together fish chunks and salt. Leave aside for 15 minutes.
– Now, in a grinder mix together coriander leaves, coconut, green chillies, garlic and cumin seeds to a fine paste.
– Spread banana leaves on a flat kitchen slab and lay the marinated fish on it. Now spread the chutney over it.
– Fold the banana leaves neatly and steam them in a steamer with plenty of hot water.
– Serve hot. Bon appetit!
THE TIMES OF INDIA
Courtesy : Jehangir Bisney