2015 Nowruz Programming Proposals
Call for Submissions: 2015 Nowruz Programming Proposals Now Being Accepted
Call for Submissions: Nowruz Programming Proposals Now Being Accepted
Submit your programming proposal
and become an integral part of our annual Nowruz celebration at LACMA
LOS ANGELES, CA, June 16, 2014 – Farhang Foundation invites artists, writers, directors, and performers to join us in our efforts to create a dynamic and immersive theatrical experience in honor of Nowruz (Iranian New Year).
We are calling on talented and creative individuals to submit proposals for Performing Arts pieces that visualize the story of Nowruz. Eligible submissions will be considered as the central program featured during our 7th Annual Nowruz (Iranian New Year) Celebration, taking place on Sunday, March 22, 2015 at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA)’s Leo S. Bing Theater.
Farhang’s annual Nowruz event at LACMA is the foundation’s signature program, attracting thousands of visitors to the museum each year. Since 2008, Farhang’s Nowruz celebration has thrilled visitors with a diverse array of activities and performances, at the heart of which is a theatrical and/or musical production that offers a glimpse into the time-honored celebration of Nowruz.
Past programs include:
Spring Love by Ziba Shirazi (2014)
The Dawn of Spring by Shahin Yousefzamani (2013)
Celebration by Hamid Saeidi (2012)
When Hope Arrives by Houshang Touzie (2011)
The Persian Rite of Spring by Niloufar Talebi (2010)
Zal & Rudabeh by Anna Djanbazian (2009)
We are seeking Performing Arts pieces (theater, dance, and/or music) that explore the origins, history, and/or themes of Nowruz, presented to a diverse audience, including those who areunfamiliar with the traditions of Nowruz.
To participate, please submit your proposal by CLICKING HERE to download the proposal template. The proposal should include:
- A brief synopsis or summary of the piece, outlining the discipline, performers, and main theme, as well as a proposed production schedule and budget.
- An artist statement and bio or CV, with current contact information.
- Two visual samples of previous works (video or images).
- Eligible proposals must be original, able to be performed on stage before a live audience, will be considered for production.
- Qualifying artists will be contacted by Farhang Foundation to discuss next steps. All proposals and supporting material must be submitted to Nowruz@farhang.org by September 1, 2014.
- Previously performed productions are preferred.
- The piece must be comprehensible to a non-Persian speaking audience.
- For sampling of past programs, please visit www.farhang.org/Nowruz.
About Farhang Foundation
Farhang Foundation is a non-religious, non-political and not-for-profit foundation established in 2008 to celebrate and promote Iranian art and culture for the benefit of the community at large. The foundation supports a broad range of academic activities in Southern California by funding university programs, publications and conferences. The foundation also supports diverse cultural programs such as the celebration of Nowruz and Mehregan, theater, dance performances, film screenings and poetry reading in Southern California. And, in cooperation with various cultural and academic institutions, Farhang Foundation funds major programs and exhibitions about Iran and its culture. However, the content, viewpoints or biases expressed by individual artists, academics, institutions or events supported by the foundation belong solely to each individual party and do not necessarily reflect the views of Farhang Foundation.