Kolkatta Agiyari pics
The Late Ervad Dhunjeebhoy Byramjee Mehta’s Zoroastrian Anjuman Atash Adaran established in 1912. Calcutta’s only fire temple or agiyari in operation at 91 Metcalfe Street, or Bandook Gali.The fire that had been brought from Navsari for the Mehtas’ own house was installed here.
The temple plot measures about 900 sq yards and the fire in a giant urn installed on the first floor is out of bounds for non-Zoroastrians. It has about 11 stained glass windows with Zoroastrian themes and motifs designed by Katayun Saklat.
The ground floor has an old grandfather clock on which is inscribed: Specially made for RD Mehta Esq by J&T Foster, 12 Mayes St, Manchester 1908, January.
Courtesy : Jasmine Baria <firstname.lastname@example.org>