Samvaad Fellowship 2019
Samvaad Fellowship 2019 is a chance for tribal youth to undertake a project, through a research proposal or a social action initiative, to work on cultural aspects concerning their tribal community. Application form is enclosed.
Here is the application form:
T A T A S T E E L C S R
SAMVAAD FELLOWSHIP 2019
A P P L I C A T I O N B R O C H U R E
FOR YOUR TRIBE
Samvaad, a platform for exchanging ideas and thoughts on tribalism in India, turns 6 this year. Over these years, tribal communities from the length and breadth of the country and overseas have converged on this platform and have taken the lead in initiating discourse on issues that govern them. Each edition has been a meeting ground from over 1,200 tribal artists, development practitioners, social activists and experts from different walks of life.
Samvaad is now fast growing as an eco-system where tribal thoughts and voices manifest in various forms – be it a discourse, documentaries, music collaboration or a work of research. A platform that it offers is supporting unique initiatives in preserving tribal culture through the Samvaad Fellowship.
The past four years of Samvaad, a pan-India tribal conclave, organized by Tata Steel Corporate Social Responsibility division, have brought us in contact with simple yet profound problems and solutions articulated by tribal people themselves. This is why we launched the Samvaad Fellowship that seeks to extend Samvaad footprints across the nation through promoting tribal culture as ideated by the tribal communities themselves.
The fellowship will encompass initiatives which are aligned towards conservation of any indigenous practice from tribal culture particularly on language, art, rituals and customs which are vulnerable to being lost and will adversely impact the unique identity of the community. There can be an array of proposals but focusing on culture preservation and promotion. The key is to let the artists bring out their dreams for preserving and promoting their cultural practices and provide the same with initial financial support and mentoring.
Samvaad Fellowship is in its Third year, and over the last two years,
it has extended support to projects working on preservation of tribal language,
culture, artet al . In 2107 the fellowship was
awarded to three individuals who worked on preservation of their languages
through development of the scripts, creation of primers as well as dictionaries
and magazines for promotion. Further in 2018 we were able to extend support to
more individuals who brought in ideas which were highly important and
vulnerable like Peace Building and conflict resolution through Morung building,
Preserving and promoting Oraon art, documenting Dehvali Bhil Folktales,
rediscovering Kharam tribe language.
The attached application form should be submitted by all interested in pursuing their contribution to their community through the fellowship. The finalists will be selected on the basis of alignment to the purpose of fellowship.
A boot-camp to understand the dynamics of cultural entrepreneurship, the mechanics of innovation, theory of change, budgeting and revenue models and project management will be conducted for the finalists from November 13-19, 2019 during Samvaad 2019.
This will be followed by a simple pitch by the finalists for selection of the best by eminent jury, which will be then supported by Tata Steel.
- A grant of max Rs. 6 lakhs for one year for five teams given in installments as per the proposal
- Mentoring support throughout the year through training programs and linkages with experts
- Idea: The uniqueness and creativity in the project idea to preserve and promote tribal cultureNeed: The vulnerability of the heritage that is to be promoted or preserved
- Impact: The change that the project idea is capable of making for the tribal community at large
- Sustainability: The long-term contribution that the project plans to be a part of
- Team: The passion, dedication and expertise in the individuals and partners for achieving the project’s objectives
- The awardee must belong to the tribe for which he/ she is proposing the idea
- One member of the awardee team must dedicate their full time to the implementation of the idea
- The project must be a means to preserve or promote tribal culture and must not have any religious or political affiliations, whatsoever
- Registered not-for-profits in existence for more than three years are requested not to apply for the fellowship
- Applications are to be submitted by email to email@example.com or post to Tata Steel CSR, 3E-Road, Northern Town, Bistupur, Jamshedpur-831001, Jharkhand, India. Anyone facing any trouble in completing the application form may contact us at 8637384843/8144029212
- Finalists will need to be present for the boot-camp and award ceremony at Samvaad 2019 from November 13-19, 2019. TA/ DA for the same will be organized by the Tata Steel CSR team
- The grant amount and period will be decided by the jury with respect to the need of the project
- Monthly progress reports and quarterly meetings would need to be submitted to justify utilization of funds
- Outcome of the project in terms of research document, film or videotapes, etc. will have to be shared with Tata Steel CSR at the end of the project period
- Decision of the Tata Steel CSR Management in extending or withdrawing the Fellowship will be final and binding