Some Parsi Phrases
- Jas per jootiya (instead of getting glory, you get hit with shoes)
- Sasoo no santaap ne dhanee per rooab (has problems with mother-in-law & bosses the husband around)
- Dhoraila doodh per baraapo (crying over spilled milk)
- Dharam na naame dhating (false pretenses in the name of religion)
- Khaali chano vaage ghano (empty bean makes more noise)
- Konna baap ni diwali (at whose father’s expense are these celebrations?)
- Taare mohne saakar (may there be rock candy in your mouth)(may good things happen as you are saying)
- Haswaa ma khaswu thayu (the joke backfired)
- Bhejaa no dahi (yogurt made from brain)(driving one crazy with behavior or talking)
- Kaag nu beswu ne dar nu parvu thayu (branch broke just as the crow sat on it)(unfortunate coincidence)
- Miya maada ne tangri oochi (a moslem man is sick but keeps leg up)(not doing well but still showing off)
- Khaay tenooj khode (digs grave for the one who feeds him)(is disloyal
- Aaandhre behroo kutyoo (to do something even if one is deaf & blind; incapable))
- Hoosna pari jevo dekhaav (appearance of a gorgeous fairy)
- Khissa khaali ne bhapkaa bhaari (pockets empty but styling is grand)
- Laakh na baar hajar kidha (made 12,000 from 100,000; did loosing busin
- Bhaste giya – taaroo nakhhod jai (you hellbound – may you be totally destroyed)
- Manashni ne bhalai na kaam no badlo jaroor malse (will be rewarded for deeds done with good thoughts & humility)
- Maara kaleja na katka (piece of my liver)(a term of endearment by comparing with own body part)
- Daajhya per daam (hot branding iron on top of the burn spot)(insult to injury)
- Thandaa maatla jevo sabhaav (disposition like a cool water jug)(does not get rattled easily)
- Thande kaleje vichaar karjo (think with cool liver)(think calmly)
- Kutra ni puchri koi divas siddhhi nahi thaay (dog’s tail never straightens out)(too late to change)
- Sanghrelo saap bi koi divas kaam aave (even a stored snake may come handy some day)(think before throwing away)
- Daajheloo maanas dahi bi fooki ne piye (a once burned person consumes even the yogurt after blowing on it)
- Naachvoo nahi ne aangoo vaaku (nu bahanu) (crooked floor is used as an excuse for not wanting to dance)
- Mehel joi ne jhoopri naa toro (do not destroy your hut after seeing a palace)
Courtesy : Aspi Wadia
So maany great ones missing:
khopta jevi jagah mah rehch lives in a small hut kinda place.
ka Lanka ne naake ghoomai gayoch whr hve u got lost in some god forsaken corner of the world.
Bhai nu gaan jevu mohnu -= sulking
thobelu hoi teh bhi padi jai shes so ugly that….
What is Dhanji Bhimo???
sorry above bhai should read as bhais
Goongas ni Jem Besi rajyo..