Parsi Sev is also known as Sweet Vermicelli in Indian Grocery Stores.
Serves 10 or 4 (see separate ingredient list )
Ingredients for serving 10 :
- 500 grams vermicelli, white or brown roasted
- 125 grams ghee or oil
- 500 grams sugar
- 2 ozs rose-water or 1 tbsp rose essence (optional)
- 125 grams almonds, blanched. sliced (optional)
- 125 grams raisins or currants (optional)
- 1 tbsp nutmeg and cardamom powder (optional)
- 500 grams water (approx 32 ozs)
Ingredients for serving 4 :
- 100 grams vermicelli, white or brown roasted
- 25 grams ghee or oil
- 100 grams sugar (or 1/2 cup sugar if you are diabetic)
- 1/2 ozs rose-water or 1/2 tsp rose essence (optional)
- 25 grams almonds, blanched. sliced (optional)
- 25 grams raisins or currants (optional)
- 1/4 tbsp nutmeg and cardamom powder (optional)
- 50 grams water (6 – 8 ozs or 1 cup)
- Fry the vermicelli in a wide and large utensil in ghee until golden brown color, stirring all the time.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar and water and boil.
- Then add this sugar and water mix to Vermicelli.
- Cover with lid, the flame being on full. After 3 minutes check if the water is absorbed and vermicelli cooked. If the water is not absorbed and vermicelli still a bit raw then reduce the heat to allow it to cook but not soggy. When completely cooked add the rose water or essence and the nutmeg, cardamom powder.
- Garnish with fried almonds and raisins.
Note: Add as little water you can to make Sev fluffy and light.