Parsi related postal stamps released by Postal Authorities

Stamps on Parsis / Parsi related issued by Indian & Other Postal Authorities

stamp1st March, 1958 – 50th Anniversary of Steel Industry, Jamshedji Tata – Steel Plant

lockheed constellation stamp

First Flight by Air India – owned by Tatas at that time

stamp15th April, 1959 – Sir Jamshetjee Jeejeebhoy (1783-1859), Philanthropist – Death Centenary.

bc26th January, 1962 – Madame Bhikaiji Cama (Patriot) – Birth Centenary

dn4th September, 1963 – Dadabhoy Naoroji (Parliamentarian ) Commemoration

jt 7th January, 1965 – Jamsetji Tata (Industrialist)  Commemoration.

hb4th August, 1966 – Dr. Homi Bhabha (Scientist) – Commemoration.

acw27th May, 1969 –    Ardesheer Cursetjee Wadia (Ship Builder ) – Commemorative.

ctg12th October, 1971 – 2500th Anniversary of Charter of Declaration of Cyrus The Great.

jrd15 October 1982 – Civil Aviation in India – 50th Anniversary – J R D Tata & Puss Moth

dnw23rd  October, 1984 – Dr D.N.Wadia -Birth Centenary – Institute of Himalayan Geology, Dehra Dun

jrd229 November 1994 – J.R.D.Tata (Industrialist) – Commemoration

hb29th February,  1996 – Homi Bhabha – Tata Institute of Fundamental Research

pm4th August 1996 – Sir Pherozeshah Mehta – Philanthropist

jc15th December, 1997-Jal Cooper- Philatelist

apg11th  July, 1998 – Godrej Centenary – Ardeshir & Pirojshah Godrej

adshroff 09 Oct 1999 – A D Shroff – India’s march towards progress and development

iis14th December, 2001 – Pioneer of Indian Institute of Science.

shfjm18th December, 2001 – Field Marshal SHFJ Manekshaw

nap16th January, 2004 – Nani A. Palkhivala ( Eminent Jurist )

ts22nd April, 2008 -Tata Steel – 100 Years

hb3
1st March, 2009 – Homi Bhabha (Scientist)

jrd31st March, 2009 – J. R. D. Tata (Industrialist and Philanthropist)

cbi23rd December, 2010 – 100 Years of Central Bank of India

sm3rd May, 2013 – 100 Years of Indian Cinema  – Sohrab Modi ( Actor)

udvada2 udvada19th December, 2015 – Zoroastrian Atash Baheram, Udvada (Gujarat)  A special cover on Zoroastrian Atash Behram, Udvada was released by Shri Macwan, Sr. Supdt. of Post Offices, Valsad  in the presence of eminent Parsis viz. Mrs. Homai Engineer, CMD and Mr. Rohinton Engineer Tech. Director of Industrial Boiler Ltd., Vapi.

Compiled by Mahernosh Damania

Some more which have been added from other sources

1993-Dadabhai_Naoroji

capture

2009 – 150 years of Bai Virbaiji Soparivala Parsi High School – Karachi

dinshaw-avari

Dinshaw B Avari – Philanthropist – Pakistan – December 2016

20 thoughts on “Parsi related postal stamps released by Postal Authorities

1. tehemton says:

FINALLY A LIST I ALWAYS WANTED OF THE POSTAL STAMPS.. HOW DO I GO ABOUT BUYING USED OR MINT ANY OR ALL. PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE WITH PRICE. ALSO J.N.TATA NEW COIN

2. kersi commissariat says:

someone fr our community must try and collect these stamps and sell them to the community for the posterity or else peoples memory is very short and next generation may ask us who was JRD and who was Homi Bhabha?

Many will be willing to pay a good price for this comilation, if need be one can take help fr the postal authorities.

3. M D Damania says:

I thank you very much for your email of 11-05-2016. I am thankful to viewers for their comments and some of them are very educative and encouraging.
    While compiling, I missed one of the greatest economist, banker our community Mr. Ardeshir Darabshah Shroff. I have revised the list incorporating the
    same. One of the comment is from Ms. Devyani Prabhu inquiring about Indian stamp issued on Mr. Zubin Mehta.

Inspired by Ms. Prabhu’s comments, I could find out that Indian Postal authority has not issued stamp on Mr. Zubin Mehta but Maldiv and Austria has issued
    Issued stamps on Mr. Zubin Mehta. Though government of India has honoured the great musician with prestigious Padma Shri and Padma Visbhushan Award.
    Ironically Israel Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Mr. Zubin Mehta had performed concert to commemorate 200 years of General Post Office at Mumbai.
    From my study it is very surprising that Indian Postal Authority do not honour person when alive, as almost all stamps are issued posthumously.

I admit that I am collecting stamps as hobby and not professional philatelist and collecting such stamps takes years together and one have to have lot of
    patience. Children should be encouraged to take stamp collection as hobby taking subject of their interest such as animal, birds, personalities etc.

In case if you consider worthwhile please upload on your net giving credit to all the viewers for their useful comments.

Thanks & Regards,

M. D. Damania

• yazdi says:

I have added A D Shroff’s stamp at the appropriate place. I also added a stamp of Air India’s first flight to India.

If any readers can suggest more appropriate additions to the list, I will be delighted to add them.

• tehemton vatcha says:

to,burzin or mehernosh,

i am unable to exchange parsis stamps(out of india 43 years), but i can give you a lot of other countries .i dont set the terms. let me know , i wil send first. I have mint(CANADA ,AUST. USA(FEW). USED FRANCE GERMANY, UK. ROMANIA CHINA SWEDEN( ETC). i AM NOT A COLLECTOR JUST A HOARDER . i WANT PARSIS STAMPS. WAITING FOR A REPLY

4. burzin chiniwala says:

WE PARSIS ARE RIGHTFULLY PROUD OF OUR RICH HERITAGE & GRATEFULLY ACNOWLEDGE THE KIND RECOGNITION ACCORDED TO US BY THE INDIAN GOVT. & OUR GENUINELY TOLERANT & BELOVED BRETHREN OF ALL COMMUNITIES.

• Meher Tamna says:

A very nice collection n compilation of Parsi postal stamps but u have missed some postal stamps of Parsi dignatories such as postal stamps of Firoz Gandhi, some Parsi sports person, some Parsi famous Cricketers, founder n establisher of the Union Bank of India, Some Parsi Hoteliers n businessman, some Parsi filmmakers such as Mr. Nariman n also the director n producer of first Indian movie n the director n producer of the series of movies starrer fearless Nadia the Australian origin actress she was famous for the action stunts in movies in that era, n also some musicians n music arranger who worked n served to Indian Hindi cinema n music, some Indian Parsi women who worked as a great actress n dancer in that era also. Thanks u should search n add all these honourable persons stamp in ur collection so we common people can see it n have their digital collection through this post.

5. Bomi Kavarana says:

Well done on the compilation of Parsi related stamps Mehernosh. I too am a collector of Parsi (and Bombay) stamp but thanks to you I find that I am missing a few (will keep a lookout for those to complete my collection). And I also have a huge collection of Parsi and Bombay postcards – a couple of articles in UK’s Postcard Monthly a few years back. As you may have guessed I have my Parsi roots in Bombay though I have spent my past 60 years or so in the UK. You may wish to know that a few years ago GB issued a set of musician stamps which included a Freddie Mercury stamp. II wonder if stamps of Rajiv and Sanjay Gandhi into this category! Keep up the good work – and keep hunting!
    Bomi Kavarana

• yazdi says:

Hi Bomi, if you could scan the stamps in your collection, and send them to us, we can add them to this list to make it richer and more complete.

• tehemton vatcha says:

HI YAZDI AND BOMI, GOOD THEME YOU GOT ON PARSIS AND STAMPS. ON JUNE 8TH 2016 POSTAGE INDIA ISSUED A STAMP ON TATA POWER face value Rs.5.00. CAN YOU GET A DEALER ‘S NAME WHO WOULD DEAL DIRECTLY FOR STAMPS MOSTLY MINT AND FDC

6. Mahernosh Damania says:

Mint stamp of Tata Power, first day cover and leaflet
    You may get it from GPO, Mumbai. Dealer will charge you more.
    M D Damania

7. MAHERNOSH DAMANIA says:

It is great that Pakistan has also recognised Parsi Community. I shall be thankful if any one from Pakistan can send me mint stamps, first day covers with literatures on
    (1) Bai Virbaiji Sopariwala Parsi High School, Karanchi on 150 years of glorious existence &
    (2) Dinshaw B. Avari, Philanthropist – Hotelier, Pakistan issued in December, 2016. My efforts with GPO, Pakistan did yeild any result. Needless to say that I shall reimburse the cost and also shipping cost etc.
    In case any collector from Pakistan is interested in exchanging similar stamps from India I shall be obliged to do so. Thanks M. D. Damania