THE HOUSE THAT NAOROJI MADON BUILT
NEAR KOKINE LAKE, MYANMAR
Greetings. I am Hoshang Dastoor from Parsi Colony, Dadar, Mumbai. My grandfather Naoroji Madon built a house called “FIRDAUS” near Kokine Lake, near Rangoon, Burma. He and his family – wife Tehmina and daughter Dr. Sarah (my late grandmother and mother) – came to India as refugees in the wake of the Japanese invasion in 1942.
I am planning to visit Burma in February 2018 and one of my top priorities is to locate this house. The visit to Burma is a cherished and sentimental dream as I grew up listening to stories of life in Burma. There is no point visiting unless I can locate both Firdaus and also Kennedy House, the other house that Naoroji built.
I do not know the name of the street where Firdaus was built, only that it was built on a one-acre plot was near Kokine Lake, about 7 miles from Rangoon proper, and described as a mansion..
Here is an available brief description of the house as Naoroji designed and built it:
· There was a rose garden in the front of the house.
· Living, dining and guest rooms situated on the ground floor.
· Three bedrooms and toilets upstairs
· A corridor connecting the kitchen, pantry and storeroom to the rest of the building.
· Venetian stained glass panes illuminated the staircase.
· Rooms were large and constructed with high ceilings and ample windows so that the interior was bright and airy
· A forest of rubber tress flanked the rear of the plot and was visible from a bedroom.
Please help me to trace the whereabouts of this house (Firdaus). Anybody with relevant information may kindly contact me. Contact details are:
Hoshang G. Dastoor
Landline: 022-24142227, 022-24141701
Mobile phone: 9821807071
E-mail address: email@example.com
Wife’s mobile phone: 9821449037
Thanks and regards,