There is an ancient tradition in many cultures (including Zoroastrian) to fumigate ones home with incense two times a day (i.e. during sunrise and after sunset) by putting incense on fire ambers taken from a continuous hearth. In our Zoroastrian tradition we fumigated our homes with Lobaan(Frankincense) only. But Ustad Saheb Behramshah N Shroff has given a specific instruction to never use Lobaan alone, but if lobaan is to be used it should be
mixed with sawdust (Veher) of Sukhad (sandalwood)(1).
Some might have read about different types of aromatic plants used in our Zoroastrian ceremonies. Given below is Ustad Saheb Behramshah N Shroff’s formulation on how to make Zoroastrian Incense(Bakhoor). Ingredients of Bakhoor are made up of aromatic plants and aromatic spices.
Ingredients given below:
Gujarati name English Name
1) Sukhad Veher Sawdust of Sandalwood.
2) Agar Agarwood (aloes wood)
3) Tagar Tagar (root of Valerian plant)
4) Lobaan Frankincense (gum of Boswellia sacra plant)
5) Taj Cinnamon
6) Lavung Clove
7) Elchi Cardamom
8) Jaiphal Nutmeg
9) Javintri Mace
These above ingredients should be properly dried in the sun and ground minutely and mixed together. Unfortunately the ratios of each of the ingredients is not mentioned in the formulation (2).
(1) Article written in Gujarati by Jehangir S Chiniwalla in “Parsi Avaz” dated 04/12/1960, page2.
(2) “First Four Day Zoroastrian Death Ceremonies” a book in Gujarati By Ustad Saheb Behramshah N Shroff, Page 77, (printed 1916).
Courtesy : K.F.Keravala