Classification Full-Time, Exempt
The Sustainable Development Associate (SDA) is a member of the Science & Policy (S&P) team, engaging both internal and external stakeholders to ensure positive development outcomes in a variety of ways. The incumbent actively advocates for, and assists in, the attainment of Casey Trees’ mission, motto and tree canopy goal.
• Leverages existing, and creates new relationships with key stakeholders including developers, landholders, community members, policymakers, environmental partners, and others
• Advocates for tree canopy protection and expansion at various public meetings
• Trains both internal and external stakeholders at various workshops and events
• Maintains data/records on programs, events, and constituents as required
• Writes and publicizes e-print materials including newsletters, blogs, advocacy actions, etc.
• Tracks and reviews plans and projects to ensure a higher level of tree canopy post-construction
• Works with research staff and volunteers to conduct tree inventories of development sites
• Develops public comments to encourage tree planting and protection
• Uses ArcGIS to analyze existing tree canopy, tree canopy loss, and potential tree canopy cover
• Delivers tree advocacy training workshops for volunteer tree advocates
• Represents Casey Trees at meetings, hearings, and on committees, advisory teams and working groups
• Develops/disseminates information on green infrastructure and low impact development best management practices featuring large canopy trees
• Creates/delivers S&P briefing materials as needed
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Legislative frameworks Knowledge of smart growth Project management
• Problem solving/analysis
• Public speaking
• Decision making
• Time management
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work : This is a full-time position. The incumbent must be able and willing to work evenings, weekends, and extended hours as required.
Compensation/Benefits : Competitive salary with excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, paid holidays, and paid time off.
Travel Travel is primarily local, although some out of the area travel and overnights may be expected.
Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, environmental science, environmental
policy, landscape architecture, landscape design or related field
Two to three years of program development experience
Excellent time management and project management; meets deadlines independently
Thoughtful, organized, highly collaborative with attention to detail
Demonstrated success working in a team environment; both internally and externally
Excellent written and verbal communication, organizational and interpersonal
Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Working knowledge of the ESRI suite
Valid driver’s license, clean
driving record, willingness to sign CT’s driving policy
Proficiency in GIS and Salesforce
Familiarity with Adobe
Illustrator, Photoshop, and/or InDesign
What you will need to apply
Please enter Sustainable
Development Associate in the subject line of your message and email the
following items to the Human Resources Generalist at email@example.com:
Résumé (if applicable)
Available start date
Contact information for three
No telephone calls, please. Final candidates will be subject to a background check
at time of conditional offer.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Casey Trees is proud to be an
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Who We Are
Casey Trees is a Washington D.C.-based nonprofit, established
in 2002, committed to restoring, enhancing and protecting the tree canopy of
the nation’s capital. To fulfill this mission, we plant trees, engage thousands
of volunteers in tree planting and care, provide year-round education courses,
monitor the city’s tree canopy, develop interactive online tree tools and work
with elected officials, developers, and community groups to protect and care
for existing trees and to encourage the addition of new ones.